Monday, October 24, 2005

Homecoming I in the Books

Homecoming: The Original came and went this past weekend, with the Tribe smashing Towson while a small but dedicated collection of Lammies relived the old days of overconsumption and underachievement. A handful of fratres from the class of '90 reconvened for its 15th year milestone, among them Brothers Day, Eckert, Weaver, Tell, and Karn. After kicking off Saturday at Coby Beck's tailgate, I, along with younger fratres Gibson and Guy, joined this group in a visit over to the House Formerly Known As Pi Lambda Phi. After half a beer on the back porch, we made our way into what is now just a dorm and hunkered down for several hours, innumerable beers, a few shots of Wild Turkey courtesy of the current inhabitants of the suite, and the worst round of Z ever played. Sitting in the bar area with a good drunk on amid bad jokes still takes me back.

Friday and Saturday night the Delly was stuffed with returning alums, sprinkled with a few current students. I enjoyed hanging out with Al Haniman, pretending he was Cliff Krug (the likeness is uncanny), and letting him re-blaze the Ho Chi Minh Trail on the porches of both Pi Lam and the Delly. I was able to chat up old Lammie gals Bridget Falls, Debbie Cerrone, and Liz Rucker with all of the drunkenlust of the old days, but the only nipple I saw belonged to a leggy, blonde 6'1" student who couldn't manage to stay in her wildly inappropriate top as she talked to Weav and me. Good times.

Evan, Lud, Scoop, Matthias, and Jim Connor all received multiple toasts and dutiful acknowledgment at the alumni brickyard. Always worth a quick walk by there.

There were plenty of other stories for the weekend either too tame or too sordid to detail here, but I had yet another great trip back for Homecoming. I've only missed one in 12 years, but it kind of bums me out that the Pi Lam Homecoming numbers continue to wane. Yes, common sense says that this is the inevitable pattern and there's no amount of rallying one guy can do to reverse the trend. Clearly I have never been one for such common sense, so I'll be bugging you douchebags next year to come back all over again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home